Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Those STINKING Caterpillars!!!

Rob and I went up to VT this weekend. A little relaxation and seeing family over the long weekend. And we had a great time. Relaxing, fun, very enjoyable. Except for the caterpillars that is. The tent caterpillars. THOSE STINKING TENT CATERPILLARS!!!!! They're defoliating much of VT and other states in the region, especially southern VT where we were. Whole mountains without leaves. Its horrible. There were thousands just on Rob's brother's property. On the walk, on the garage, in the driveway, in the pool.... It was really yucky. I stomped on hundreds. From what I understand there aren't many if any natural predators. EXCEPT FOR ME!!!!! I killed as many as I could. Not that the few hundred I killed made a HUGE difference in the zillions of them out there, but I figure I saved at least one tree.
GRRRRR!!!! THOSE STINKING CATERPILLARS!!!!!

Here are some more links about this tragedy in nature.

Vermont Division of Forestry

From the Bennington Banner

From the Burlington Free Press

Wikipedia article on tent caterpillars



SAVE THE TREES!!! STOMP ON THE CATERPILLARS!!!!!

No comments: