Saturday, July 07, 2007

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Only 14 more days until Harry Potter.  As my eager husband keeps reminding me.  He can't wait for the 7th and final book to come out.  I've been hearing "I can't wait for Harry Potter" for MONTHS!  And while I am really looking forward to reading the book, I'm sad too, because there aren't any more too look forward to now!  I almost feel that if I hold off on reading it, I can still have the joy of looking forward to it.

We pre-ordered the book from Amazon.  When the 6th book came out, we ordered 2 copies so that one of us didn't have to wait for the other to finish reading it.  And then I gave the second copy to a friend, because why did we need 2 copies?  This time I told him to just order one, I'll let him eagerly read it first, and I can look forward to it for another few days.  Unless he starts talking about it and gasping and all that stuff.  That would frustrate me.

I do have a lot of questions and ideas regarding book 7, things I want to know about and theories I'm formulating about how it all will turn out. I definitely think it's going to be a dark and twisted maybe not so much for children type of book.  I won't go into all of my thoughts here, but my biggest one is, I'm pretty sure Harry is going to die.  JKR has hinted to that on countless occasions, and we know that her hints usually make sense later on.  People continually ask her if she plans to write about Harry's life after Hogwart's, and she always says How do we know he'll make it, or live that long?  So I think, as much as I don't like the idea, that Harry is going to die in Book 7.  BUT, I can't imagine her sending the message to all the children of the world that evil wins over good.  ESPECIALLY since that good and love is better magic and just plain better all around and will always triumph over dark magic is a theme that has woven itself into the very heart of the entire series.  So I wonder how this will happen.  Maybe Harry will die afterward or in the process of also killing Voldemort, or he'll have to sacrifice himself to make it happen etc.  And I DON'T believe that Harry is a horcrux, despite that popular theory.  And I DO believe, as incredibly sad as it makes me, that Dumbledore is dead.  I cried through the last few chapters of the 6th book.  But then again, I've been predicting this since the middle of the 4th book when JKR starts describing how old and tired Dumbledore is.  So I'm not so sure how this all is going to happen.  Though I'm sure it will alllll make sense once I read the book.

But then there won't be ANY MORE Harry Potter to look forward to!  It's like when they cancelled Star Trek Voyager.  I looked forward to each new episode of the final season, and then the series finale, but then it was OVER.  And now I have all but like 2 or 3 episodes on tape, but it isn't the same as looking forward to knowing what's going to happen next in the story.  ESPECIALLY since they made it back to the Alpha Quadrant so abruptly at the end of the show and there wasn't any explanation or closure to it.  That frustrated me A LOT!  And what about that whole Chakotay and Seven of Nine thing that they just sort of threw on you at the last minute.    But I digress.....

Any opinions??

No comments: