Saturday, January 22, 2005

Camping out at the Hospital

Well, it's 4:30 and I'm just finishing up at the hospital and I can't see out the window. It's snowing SO HARD!!! I live too far away (25 miles) to make it safely home and back at 7:30 in the morning in a blizzard, so I'm camping out here in the hospital. Not ideal, but betterer than getting stuck in my car and freezing, or getting into an accident. I called the administrative peoples this afternoon and explained my situation and they said I could stay and offered me a place to sleep etc.

The National Weather Service had this to say: (I highlighted and bolded the really interesting parts.)

... A BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THIS AFTERNOON THROUGH SUNDAY MORNING...
SNOW WILL MOVE IN LATE THIS MORNING. THE SNOW WILL BECOME VERY HEAVY LATE THIS AFTERNOON AND EVENING..AND MAY MIX WITH SLEET TONIGHT AS WARMER AIR MOVES IN ALOFT. TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS WILL BE 14 TO 21 INCHES BY SUNDAY EVENING. IN ADDITION TO THE SNOW... NORTHEAST WINDS WILL INCREASE THIS AFTERNOON... AND WILL BE QUITE GUSTY TONIGHT AND SUNDAY MORNING. WINDS MAY GUST UP TO 50 MPH LATE TONIGHT AND SUNDAY MORNING... ALLOWING VISIBILITIES TO DROP TO NEAR ZERO AT TIMES. THESE WINDS WILL RESULT IN SIGNIFICANT BLOWING AND DRIFTING OF SNOW AS WELL AS POWER OUTAGES. WIND CHILL VALUES WILL BE BELOW ZERO AT TIMES.
A BLIZZARD WARNING MEANS THAT SUSTAINED WIND SPEEDS OR FREQUENT GUSTS OF OVER 35 MPH ARE EXPECTED WITH CONSIDERABLE FALLING AND OR BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW. VISIBILITIES WILL BECOME POOR... WITH WHITEOUT CONDITIONS AT TIMES. THOSE VENTURING OUTDOORS MAY BECOME LOST OR DISORIENTED... SO PEOPLE IN THE WARNING AREA SHOULD STAY INDOORS.
ANY TRAVEL IS STRONGLY DISCOURAGED. IF YOU LEAVE THE SAFETY OF BEING INDOORS... YOU ARE PUTTING YOUR LIFE AT RISK.
THIS IS A LIFE-THREATENING WINTER WEATHER SITUATION!
PREPARATIONS TO PROTECT LIFE AND PROPERTY SHOULD COMPLETED BY NOON TODAY!...

So to be on the safe side and not threaten my life I'll take the uncomfortable bed in the pediatric unit being offered to me. I'm glad I brought a change of clothes and a book etc. with me this morning.

I'm sure it'll be an interesting evening.... But I'm glad that the hospital cares about my safety enough to put me up for the night.

No comments: